- What Is a Community Server in Valheim?
- Where to See the Valheim Community Server List
- Creating a Community Server
- Warnings When Playing in Valheim Community Servers
- But I Don’t Have Friends To Play Valheim With! Where Can I Find Them?
- Valheim Start Server vs Community Server: Play on a Locally Hosted Private Server With Steam Friends
- Starting Your Own Server With Valheim Server Hosting
- Final Words
In this game, there are two types of servers, privately hosted start servers and community servers. Community servers are public servers that are available in-game and welcome any and all players, letting you get into multiplayer games without much fuss.
Valheim’s rising popularity as of late has been a phenomenon to watch. The Viking-themed survival sandbox game has become one of the top-rated games on Steam, and it’s been out for barely a year at this point. As such, many new players have been dipping their toes into the game, trying it out for the first time. It’s inevitable then that some players may feel lost as to how servers in the game work.
Well, worry not, we’ve compiled a fairly comprehensive guide to Valheim community servers.
What Is a Community Server in Valheim?
In this game, there are two types of servers, privately hosted servers and community servers. Community servers are public servers that are available in-game and welcome any and all players, letting you get into multiplayer games without much fuss. They’re remarkably easy to access and quick to join in, which is why they appeal to so many players.
Where to See the Valheim Community Server List
So, you’re prepared to play Valheim, and you want to join a community server. Thankfully, the devs have made joining the server a relatively simple affair. All you need to do is:
- Start your game
- Select your character.
- Click “Join Game”
- Pick the community option.
You should be able to see a list of Valheim community servers to join. Select the one you want to be a part of. Your game will then load the server and you’re ready to play.
It’s an extremely easy process, one that shouldn’t be any trouble to even the newest players. Community servers are very common, mainly due to just how accessible they are. If you don’t have much time to really coordinate with your friends and need a Valheim fix, it’s the fastest option. But do keep in mind that you’ll want to be careful when playing in community servers.
Creating a Community Server
Creating a Valheim community server is also a relatively simple process. All you need is to:
- Select a world under Start Game
- Choose Community Server if you want anyone to join, or Start Server to keep it between friends.
- You can also set a Valheim server password if you want. If your Valheim community server does not have one, anyone can join. This Valheim server password prevents potential griefers from joining your server.
- Click Start to load the game.
Warnings When Playing in Valheim Community Servers
Now, you’ll want to always remember that community servers are usually not moderated, which means all sorts of players can join. This includes those who don’t have your best interests in mind, griefers who find joy in ruining your day and, and even cheaters and hackers who exploit the game and hurt you in the process. More often than not, by the time you realize what’s happening it’s already too late.
All of these can lead to huge amounts of loss in your progress, especially since all your data carries over between servers. If you get griefed and lose your items in a community server, then those items are lost forever, unfortunately.
While this may sound very scary, there are some ways to circumvent these problems.
- First off, the best way to keep yourself from losing all your precious loot when you join a malicious community server is to stash them in your personal world. That way, no matter what happens in the community server you join, your progress will be mostly safe.
- Choose your players wisely.
- Leave as soon as you notice the presence of any hackers or griefers. It’s all about being as fast and cautious as possible. But, if you’re just looking to play on a server with your friends, there are far safer and more reliable alternatives to community servers.
But I Don’t Have Friends To Play Valheim With! Where Can I Find Them?
There is a lot of communities centred around Valheim to be part of and find friends in:
- We’ve compiled a list of Valheim Discord servers to join, and every single one caters to a specific sort of Valheim player. We recommend you go through them and pick one or two based on your interests and skill level.
- There’s also a lively Valheim subreddit community with members who are eager to help and befriend fellow Valheim players.
- Valheim’s Steam community forum also has lively discussions you can be part of.
In any case, we recommend picking a select number of communities and taking the time with interacting with its community members. Otherwise, you might not develop the lasting connections that you want and play this game with.
Valheim Start Server vs Community Server: Play on a Locally Hosted Private Server With Steam Friends
Instead of joining a random community server, consider starting a private local Valheim server (read our guide!) and playing with trusted Steam friends instead. The perks of using a Valheim start server vs a community server is that you get to avoid unwanted griefers ruining your Valheim experience, and it keeps everything more personal. It allows players to have a more relaxing time where you don’t need to always be on your toes worrying about others.
However, this also means when you close your Valheim private start server, your friends will no longer be able to play, and that can be annoying for group playthroughs. It can hamper your group’s progress and interest in playing the game, and you really don’t want that happening.
In cases like these, there’s another choice that’s arguably superior to a private start server or a community server, and that’s getting a server hosted through a service like Valheim Server Hosting.
Starting Your Own Server With Valheim Server Hosting
Valheim Server Hosting is another option. Our servers allow you to host your very own Valheim server that stays open 24/7 for all your own friends and community members. This means you can keep unwanted griefers and hackers out of it, letting you just relax and have fun without the worry of losing your progress due to someone wanting to ruin your day.
It’s extremely easy to set up a server with Valheim Server Hosting, so much so that even brand new players can get it to work effortlessly. Valheim Server Hosting also offers constant customer support, so if you ever feel lost you can simply contact support and have them guide you through how to fix your problem and make things work.
If you don’t want to deal with community servers and the issues they bring, Valheim Server Hosting is an excellent alternative. It’s all the fun of Valheim, with less of the hassle involved with setting everything up. Get some friends together in a Discord server, and you’ll be having fun with Valheim in no time.
Community servers in Valheim are a lot of fun. You never really know what you’re going to encounter when you join a new community server, and it can lead to some of the most memorable moments in your time playing through Valheim. Despite that, it’s important to remember that community servers can be unsafe for inexperienced players,
Ultimately, no matter which option you pick, you should always try to have fun.